What are Specials?
Specials are unlicensed medicines created for patients for whom there is no existing suitable licensed product available, for reasons of formulation and/or presentation.
Reasons for unsuitability may include:
- Allergies to conventional ingredients
- A unique combination of ingredients
- Unacceptable presentations e.g. flavours, dysphagia,
Doctors often prescribe compounded medications for reasons that include (but are not limited to) the following situations:
- When the patient cannot ingest the medication in its commercially available form and a Specials manufacturer can prepare the medication in cream, liquid or other form that the patient can easily take; and when medications require flavour additives to make them more palatable for some patients, most often children.
- When treatment requires tailored dosage strengths for patients with unique needs (for example, an infant).
- When the patient is allergic to certain preservatives, dyes or binders in available off-the-shelf medications.
- When a compounder can combine several medications the patient is taking to increase compliance.
- When needed medications are discontinued by or generally unavailable from pharmaceutical companies, often because the medications are no longer profitable to manufacture, or there are 'manufacturing/procurement' difficulties for certain products.
When pharmacists and consultant doctors turn to custom-compounded preparations for their patients, they turn to IPS Specials for quality, a broad selection, world-class customer care and fast delivery. When off-the-shelf medicines are not working or tolerated, we provide an array of specialised preparations, including combination therapies; these bespoke preparations are delivered next day.
We are able to manufacture Specials in a range of formulations as listed below:
Oral liquids, Suspensions, Solutions, Mixtures, Syrups, Elixir, Emulsions
Topical preparations: Ointments, Creams, Gels, Pastes
External Liquids: Coal Tar preparations, Mouthwashes, Lotions
Further products can be developed, tested & supplied upon customer request.
We can manufacture these products in various volumes, strengths and presentations to meet the precise requirements of the customer.
We also possess a Wholesalers license and a Wholesalers Distribution Authorisation (Human) license which enable us to supply a range of unlicensed stock items which we are unable to manufacture in-house, these include:
- Sterile eye drops
- Sterile eye ointments
- Sterile oral liquids
- Nasal drops
- Rectal solutions